[Javascript] please test before posting [WAS: Re: INPUT TEXT show last characters]

tedd tedd at sperling.com
Thu Feb 1 12:26:46 CST 2007

At 10:10 AM -0800 1/31/07, Paul Novitski wrote:
>>>I have a page with a lot of INPUT TEXT elements, already filled with URL's
>>>(so they have long strings within them).
>>>The problem is that I want to show the end of the string, not the beginning
>>>when the page loads.
>
>>have you tried css?
>>
>>input { text-align: right; }
>

>The question is, have *you* tried it?  This was my first idea on
>this topic, but the minute I took to throw it into an HTML page
>showed it didn't work (in Firefox).
>
>I know it's time-consuming, but the quality of the discussion is
>much higher when people take the time to test their advice before
>posting.  And remember -- archives are forever!  Please understand
>that this is just as much advice to myself as it to anyone else --
>most of my faux pas on listserves have resulted from quick replies
>without testing.
>
>Regards,
>
>Paul

Paul:

Not that I disagree with you entirely, but when someone post a
question, I would like to respond with where I would look to find a
solution. After all, the poster is in a better position to try the
suggestion than I am. It would take me some time to set up an example
to test it, whereas the poster may have already tried and failed, to
which they can respond accordingly.

I wouldn't want any of my questions to be devoid of opinions or
suggestions, would you?

As for archives lasting forever -- they last for a while, but I don't
see post I made 10+ years ago.

Cheers,

tedd
--