[Javascript] Forward image via http with ajax

Terry Riegel riegel at clearimageonline.com
Fri Feb 2 19:59:08 CST 2007

Mike,

Thanks for your comments. After reading your comments I got the
feeling you may have missed my earlier post to Billy Reisinger. I
explained with a fair amount of detail what the bigger picture is.
That with my "more terse" comments below should help you understand
my requirements.

Thanks,

Terry

> You're talking about taking a single picture, not setting up a
> streaming video server, right?

yes

> You absolutely cannot have the user pick the file they create with
> the camera?

Absolutely do not want to even have a file on the computer, just want
to get it from the camera to the web server w/o port forwarding (NAT
- Network Address Translation, this is how several computers can be
"on the internet" with just one router.), and with zero setup on the
client computer. The only requirement for the client machine is a
working web browser.

> Can you use Java?  You might need a signed script to not bug the
> user with lowering their security.  A Java applet could be called
> from client-side javascript in your page.

This is the only option I see meeting most of my requirements, but I
am generally averse to the idea.

> Another option would be to compile an app for download that could
> use xmlhttp outside the browser (or FTP, Soap, whatever)

Not really this would only work if I had control of the computer that
would be doing the transfer, something I may or may not have control
of. It should work on a borrowed computer. Compiling usually means
you are limited to a particular platform, or platform(s), but it
would not be feasible to compile for Windows/Linux/FreeBSD/Solaris/OS
X/Palm,... as all of these platforms have web browsers. And what
about the web browsers that run on platforms I didn't mention.

> It sounded like you are trying to minimize complexity for the user,
> which typically means an increase in complexity for the developer.  :)

Yes, I am, yes it does.

> Since they're already accepting the complexity of the camera hookup
> and software, you might be able to bundle a "does it all"
> application to manage it.

Not true. They do nothing to connect to the camera, except open their
web browser. This is an IP camera it doesn't connect to a computer,
it connects to an ethernet hub or router. As long as the browser can
display jpg images (even that isn't required) the application should
work.

> Just curious, what do you mean "..without configuring a router to
> port forward"?

google "port forward".