[Javascript] IE not implemented error

Nick Fitzsimons nick at nickfitz.co.uk
Mon Feb 12 08:21:14 CST 2007

On 12 Feb 2007, at 14:21:47, Flávio Gomes wrote:

> http://www.google.com/search?q=%22Error%3A+Not+Implemented%22
> +javascript
>
> Too many to list.. but I never got it.
>
> Schalk Neethling escreveu:
>
>> Hi there everyone,
>>
>> Can anyone on the list please shed some light on the Not
>> Implemented error thrown by IE? In general what would cause this
>> type of error?

In general, this is due to the fact that IE is built using COM
components, COM (Component Object Model) being the technology that
underlies much of the Windows operating system, and which is related
to ActiveX.

It means that COM is unable to carry out some operation because it
doesn't know how to handle what you've thrown at it. The first result
(for me) from Flávio's Google search is to
<http://www.experts-exchange.com/Web/Web_Languages/JavaScript/
Q_21637722.html>
where the problem is that the code attempts to assign the result of a
function to the onreadystatechange property of the document, rather
than assigning a reference to the function. As the function in
question doesn't return a value, IE gets confused by attempting to
assign the native JScript value for "undefined" to something that
expects a JScript function reference (which is wrapped as a COM
object, and can be assigned to the event handler correctly).

It appears from the other search results that this is a common cause
of this error, but I'm pretty sure I've seen it caused by other COM-
related issues over the years.

COM is also the reason for "Interface not supported" errors which can
crop up from time to time, particularly when doing Ajaxian things. If
you want to know more about COM (and I'm sure you don't) then
Microsoft's page saying it's rubbish compared to .NET is at
<http://www.microsoft.com/com/>.

Also, Eric Lippert (who was closely involved in the development of
the MS scripting engines some years ago) has a number of articles in
his archives at
<http://blogs.msdn.com/ericlippert/archive/tags/COM+Programming/
default.aspx>.

Regards,