[Javascript] Javascript detection

David Dorward david at dorward.me.uk
Mon Jan 1 17:41:12 CST 2007

On Mon, Jan 01, 2007 at 06:31:21PM -0500, tedd wrote:

> I thank you for your review, but I ~am~ designing with progressive
> enhancement in mind.I do know what it is.

> Please realize that there is nothing in progressive enhancement that
> prohibits the server from knowing what's going on.

Correct, but it removes the /need/.

> So, if I look to the server for things to enhance the users
> experience, but not make those enhancements required, then the server
> can also be a tool for us to consider in web development. That is
> what I am doing.

So the page works without CSS.
So the page works WITH CSS.
So the page works without JavaScript.
So the page works with JavaScript.
So the page works with JavaScript, but with popups disabled.
etc.

So - how is it useful to know if the client supports JavaScript or
not? The page works either way.

> PS: What OS and Browser are you using?

Windows XP. Firefox 2.