[Javascript] IE7 javascript profiler?

liorean liorean at gmail.com
Wed May 9 11:28:30 CDT 2007

On 09/05/07, Mike Dougherty <mdougherty at pbp.com> wrote:
> Have you tried the Microsoft Script Debugger?
> It's a little frustrating to find this ugly link:
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=2f465be0-94fd-4569-b3c4-dffdf19ccd99&DisplayLang=en
>
> or use this one to go to your correct page:
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/resources/tales/sg0904.mspx

Which is the worst debugger for JavaScript that you can find. period.

A better suggestion is to enable the JavaScript debugger that is
bundled with Office, or to download the free version of Visual Studio
and use that debugger.  They are both much more feature complete,
maybe even better than venkman, though that depends more on personal
preferences.

Another possibility is to simply use in-code solutions for profiling.

    var
        dStart=new Date,
        dEnd;
    doYourStuff();
    dEnd=new Date;
    someLoggingFunction('doYourStuff',dEnd-dStart);

There are a few things that internet explorer is notoriously bad at.
One example is concatenating strings. Very many functions where you do
much string concatenation could
get MUCH better performance simply by using Array.join instead.
--
David "liorean" Andersson