[Javascript] Passing parameters to a new page

Paul Novitski paul at juniperwebcraft.com
Wed May 16 10:37:46 CDT 2007

At 5/16/2007 07:40 AM, Del Wegener wrote:
>On my algebra website I have a button labed QUIZ at several location on each
>of many pages.  Each of these locations has a NAME.  The intent is that
>clicking on this button takes me to a new page which presents an interactive
>quiz on the material associated with the location of the particular button
>that was clicked.
>
>Is there any way for me to pass NAME to the new page ?  I would like to
>avoid server-side programming like PERL or PHP.

If your form is a GET type the form values will be revealed in the
querystring of the next page.  You can parse document.location, first
splitting on "?" to isolate the querystring, then splitting on "&" to
isolate name/value pairs, and finally splitting on "=" to get the
individual values.

0)      http://example.com/?name=XXX&AAA=BBB

1)      name=XXX&AAA=BBB

2)      name=XXX
         AAA=BBB

3)      name
         XXX

DOM:document.location
http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/DOM:document.location

Core JavaScript 1.5 Reference:Global Objects:String:split
http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Core_JavaScript_1.5_Reference:Objects:String:split

Or if you were seeking just that one value you could use a regular
expression such as:

/[?&]name=[^&=]+(&|$)/i

/       begin regular expression
[?&]    question mark or ampersand
name=   "name="
[^&=]*  zero or more characters except ampersand and equals
(&|$)   ampersand or end of string
/       end regular expression
i       case-insensitive

The javascript method match would then capture XXXX in these circumstances:

http://example.com/?name=XXX
http://example.com/?name=XXX&AAA=BBB
http://example.com/?AAA=BBB&name=XXX
http://example.com/?AAA=BBB&name=XXX&CCC=DDD
http://example.com/?NaMe=XXX
etc.

Core JavaScript 1.5 Guide:Regular Expressions
http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Core_JavaScript_1.5_Guide:Regular_Expressions

Regards,

Paul

Paul Novitski