[Javascript] Fade transition onmouseover/out based on CSS :hover?

Mike Dougherty mdougherty at pbp.com
Wed Sep 26 10:44:10 CDT 2007

On 9/26/07, Nick Baker <CF at isbc.com> wrote:
> A. "mousing up/down the nav list causes each flyout to open and close"
> B. "should they fade in and out"
> C. "to prevent accidentally closing the whole flyout"

A.  CSS menu implies this by default.  see:
http://www.htmldog.com/articles/suckerfish/dropdowns/
B/C.  notice in the link above how the fix for IE uses javascript - if
the mouseout behavior creates a timeout to remove the class, then
submenu will remain until the timeout fires.  You might have to be
more clever to detect if the mouse were leaving the menu container if
you want that timeout to be conditional (it might look terrible to
have a long timeout and a quick roll over all the menu options because
the subs might overlap in an ugly way)

I don't have an example.  To date, we've just lived with the
misfeature that causes the submenu to disappear if you're 1 pixel off
of it.