[Javascript] IE work-a-round question (re: checkboxes)

Claude Schneegans schneegans at internetique.com
Sat Apr 12 10:25:40 CDT 2008

 >>Citation?

OK, according to:
http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Browser_Detection_and_Cross_Browser_Support
"With the introduction of the W3C DOM, the standard method
|document.getElementById| became available in Internet Explorer 5 and
later in Netscape 6 (Gecko)."

According to:
http://www.w3.org/TR/1998/REC-DOM-Level-1-19981001/level-one-html.html#ID-011100101
The getElementById function was introduced in DOM Level 1, proposed as a
standard
october 1st 1998.
Among the editors are:
Vidur Apparao, Netscape
Scott Isaacs, Microsoft (until January 1998)
Chris Wilson, Microsoft (after January 1998)

According to:
http://wiki.wsu.edu/ctowiki/Microsoft_Internet_Explorer
"Internet Explorer 5 was released in March 1999"
thus only five month after the DOM level 1 specifications.

According to:
http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_netscape.asp
"Netscape 6 was released in November 2000."
thus 25 months after DOM level 1 and 20 months after Explorer 5.

So may be Microsoft didn't "invent the function", but obviously they
were the first to implement it,
and they were working on its implementation in Explorer 5 while they
were participating in the
discussions to elaborate the standard.
Obviously, Netscape was not ready yet.

By the way, I'm not a "MS-Fan-Boy", actually I was a Netscape fan,...
until they released Netscape 6 which didn't support previous versions.
A lot of trouble for us developers. For now I'm nobody's fan, I just
keep patching code to support what the visitors use to browse my sites.

--
REUSE CODE! Use custom tags;