[Javascript] Microsoft proprietary DOM vs Standards (Was: IE work-a-round question (re: checkbox

Troy III Ajnej trojani2000 at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 16 21:07:30 CDT 2008

I still don't see "MyElement" shorthand anywhere
 (1997-2008 == more than a decade).
> Generating global variables, which might conflict with built ins, > simply by associating an HTML document with a JavaScript program is a > good way to generate confusing bugs during development and make > maintenance a pain.
I don't see how could a refference to the doc element have to do anything with
associating HTML with Javascript or messing anything else up!

> DOM 1 reached recommendation status in 1998
Sorry but I don't recall if it's first recommendation included the "document.getElemen..."
statement in its apearence. It was DOM Level 2 that invented e different statement for
the same purpose and reached recommendation status only a month before 2001. Almost
3 years after referencing element by ID has become a true empiricall standard for coders
around the world. W3C did everything to avoid adapting this exellent syntax, simply because
it was an IE invention.
Eventhough FX didn't hesitate to implement it, but did it maliciously. Same goes with
the famous .innerHTML.

> It lent itself to write-only code, they didn't consult with anyone > before implementing it, the standards group (including Microsoft) came > up with something better.

:) Like What?
And what do you understand with "write-only"? What do you mean with
"they didn't consult with anyone"?

Do you understand that this acusation is a direct answer to the
question: -Who was, and still is hollding up the web???

Don't forget that it was only in December 1997 that HTML 4.0 added support for tables.
Can you imagine? -Tables!

W3C recommended "document.getElement" a month before 2001, while
IE4-was allready three years old and running.

So it was, still is, and allways will be, W3C.