[Javascript] IE onclick problem

David Dorward david at dorward.me.uk
Sat Apr 19 07:07:00 CDT 2008

On 19 Apr 2008, at 10:02, Troy III Ajnej wrote:
> > On 19 Apr 2008, at 04:35, Troy III Ajnej wrote:
> > > Sorry, but
> > > just won't do! You are asigning the function to the var.
>
> > No, it is the return value of the function.

> I think my english is not god enough...,
> you are assigning the function-name (that is: a function call) to
> the "var capturedReturnValue"

No.

var capturedReturnValue = myFunction();

That executes the function and assigns whatever value it returns to
capturedReturnValue.

var referenceToFunction = myFunction;

Without the () to *call* the function it will assign the function to
the variable.

If you couldn't call functions, JavaScript wouldn't be a usable
language.

> All right, -how do you write it so it will return, !not execute
> myFunction(),
> but at least alert you from another function that: myFunction() did
> execute
> succesfully without executing it accidentally on-check time or
> before user-action?

If you want to return a function then:

function myFunction() {
	return function () {