[Javascript] jQuery

Hassan Schroeder hassan at webtuitive.com
Wed Jan 9 12:34:48 CST 2008

Del Wegener wrote:

> Is anyone familiar with jQuery?

In the sense that I know what it is, but I usually use Prototype
and Scriptaculous, with an occasional dollop of YUI. :-)

> Do the jQuery library items need to be installed on the server or are they
> just included in the HTML directory for a website?

It's just another file to put with the rest of your JS scripts.

> Is it easy or hard to learn?
 > Is there a significant gain?

Is it easy or hard to run a marathon? :-)

I'd suggest no one can answer either of those for you -- why not
just take an hour or two to evaluate it?

As far as gain, though, being able to write, e.g.

   $('foo').hide()

versus

   document.getElementById('foo').style.display = "none"

is, to me, definitely a winner.

(That's Prototype syntax, BTW, but you get the idea.)

FWIW!
Hassan Schroeder ----------------------------- hassan at webtuitive.com

                           dream.  code.