[Javascript] Changing dom values from HTML clicks

Skip Evans skip at bigskypenguin.com
Thu Jun 5 17:03:27 CDT 2008

Hey all,

I am creating this "theme builder" module to
change the look and feel through the DOM on the
fly and then record this into a database to then
create a custom CSS file.

The way I am doing it now, just to test it out, I
know is not the best way and that there is a
better way, but I could use some guidance here.

Basically, I downloaded the color selector tool at:

http://ecritters.biz/colorselector/

which I then use to select a color and send the
value to JS code to set a value in the DOM. Here
are the code snippets that do the work, but I know
there must be a better way.

First, after the user selects a color, they click
a link to send this value to the JS code like this:

onclick="set_theme_property(theme_form.color.value,'left_block_background');">
                               Left Block
Background</a>

Then in the JS, I use a switch statement to
determine which value is being set, and then...

case 'left_block_background':
   var object=document.getElementById('leftcontent');
   object.style.background=val;
break;

...does the work.

What is the right way to do this? Seems to me
there should be way to send the property that is
being set from the HTML that would not require a
big switch statement for every property.

Thanks much!

--
Skip Evans
Big Sky Penguin, LLC