[Javascript] Speed of loading JS files

Skip Evans skip at bigskypenguin.com
Fri Jun 20 16:58:33 CDT 2008

Hey all,

Our system that uses lots of AJAX in a total of
154K. However, the site is taking a long time to
load the initial page and the individual JS files,
approximately 10 to 15 seconds of waiting.

The JS is in about 39 separate files simply
because we build individual PHP and JS files per
system module and that's just how it worked out
for this application.

Does the number of files greatly affect that
initial download off all the JS? Would it speed up
significantly if we combined them into just a
couple of files?

If not, could someone suggest a more efficient way
to get the JS code to the browser?

Thanks,
Skip

--