[Javascript] A Timed removal of DOM elements

tedd tedd at sperling.com
Sat Mar 29 10:21:54 CDT 2008

>Make your life easier -- either take everything after the first
>character or use leading zeroes on your id numbers, e.g. q01 through q99.

No, there's a method to my madness -- see below. I'll provide the
results to this list when I'm done.

>  >   Use a function that recursively calls itself with setTimeout
>
>One of my pet peeves is pages that run continuous javascript timeout
>loops, gobbling great gobs of CPU cycles, usually for little benefit
>except to strut the developer's stuff.  If you do go this route,
>please build in a natural termination for the process so it doesn't
>just continue as long as the page is loaded, or only runs while the
>page has focus.  Especially in these days of tabbed browsing it's
>cruel and unusual punishment to design pages that assume they are the
>only thing on the visitor's desktop, particularly noticeable with
>self-starting audio.

Paul:

I agree, but what I want is to have from one to five items (actually
links) disappear from view in a timed fashion.

This is a game I'm designing as a web application and I want to show
the user what the computer did. You see, I wrote the original
Quarters game for the Macintosh (OS9) in 1997 (see:
http://sperling.com/freeware.php ) and now I'm rewriting it for the
web.

So, it's not some goofy web lunacy thing, but rather a way to show
the user what happened.

Thanks,

tedd
--