[Javascript] access child windows

Conyers, Dwayne dwayne.conyers at hp.com
Mon Aug 10 16:40:43 CDT 2009

Troy III Ajnej post toasted:

> Why dont you drop pop-ups completely, and pop-up a styled DIV instead,
> since more than 80% of pop-ups are being blocked anyway.

The OverLib JS (http://www.bosrup.com/web/overlib) library is good for styled pop-ups.  There are a few side-sites with add-ons and extensions to Eric's API... and I have also seen some OverLib copies that seem to simplify the code-base to give the same basic functionality without the "bloat" -- but even a D.I.Y. pop-up div is a good option.

A different option might be to use an alert() to pop-up a modal window that the user would have to click to dismiss... or perhaps use similar coding to add some interactivity?

One final option (more labor intensive) would be to exploit the capabilities of specific browsers to manage a pop-up... not quite a "hack" like some advertisers user to override the popup blocker, but to legitimately open that window.

--
I made magic once.  Now, the sofa is gone.
http://blog.dwacon.com