[Javascript] variable DIV

tedd tedd at sperling.com
Thu Feb 12 14:02:36 CST 2009

At 7:23 AM -0700 2/12/09, Scott Reynen wrote:
>On [Feb 12], at [ Feb 12] 6:10 , tedd wrote:

>>>  Your example doesn't work because '#content h2' has a greater
>>>  specificity than 'h2' so even though 'h2' is defined later,
>>>  '#content h2'
>>>  takes precedence.
>>
>>  My example is how to use a variable in css AND that does work.
>>
>>  If you don't know how to use the technique, then that's a different
>>  matter. In short, don't blame the technique because you can't program.
>
>For lack of an active administrator, I'll go ahead and point out that
>this is inappropriate.
>
>The original poster asked for advice on manipulating styles *based on
>the window size*.  Window size only exists client-side, so PHP doesn't
>help there.  And even if it did, this is a *JavaScript-specific* list.
>If you don't have anything to say about JavaScript, please take it off-
>list.
>
>And even if you do have something to say about JavaScript, if you
>can't say it without resorting to personal insults, please take that
>off-list as well.
>
>Peace,
>Scott

Scott:

While I can appreciate your need to comment, there was no insult.
What I posted was a way to use variables from within css -- that is a
fact and it works.

What was posted in return to my post was "It don't work", which was not true.

If the person did not know how to use the technique, that's fine. But
their statement does provide sufficient proof that they did not know
how to program in that instance. Stating fact, should not be
construed as an insult.

Furthermore, the OP asked for help with css, which is not javascript.
One could conclude from your post that this entire thread should have
never been made on this list. Is that what you are suggesting -- that
we never help anyone who comes to this list with anything other than
pure javascript?

I mix server-side and client-side languages together all the time. I
don't see much of a difference if you're trying to get a web
application to work -- no language does it all and javascript does
not live in a vacuum. I've had this same conversation with the pure
css elite as well on their moderated list.

Look, the OP asked a question and I took my time to answer as best as
I could with a technique that does work. His reply was not only
thankless, but he criticized a technique that works -- it's obvious
to me that he had no idea of what it was or how to use it.

Now, maybe that's Okay by you to allow a poster to: a) post something
that is not true; b) and go away with a mistaken idea of what was
being offered as a solution. But to me, the meaning of "help" does
not mean that you give-in to the OP's mistaken ideas, but rather
correct them.

If you think I am still wrong, then please ignore anything I post. I
have better things to do than argue that stating the truth is an
insult. As Will Rogers once said "We're all ignorant, only in
different subjects." Being ignorant is not an insult, it's just a
statement of fact and we all can be described by it.

Cheers,

tedd

--
-------