[Javascript] Try and Catch Question

Terry Bader bader at tcbader.com
Tue Mar 10 10:40:56 CDT 2009

Take the fight off list.

Thanks...

~Terry

From: "Scott Reynen" <scott at randomchaos.com>
Sent: Tuesday, March 10, 2009 11:36 AM
To: "JavaScript List" <javascript at lists.evolt.org>
Subject: Re: [Javascript] Try and Catch Question

On [Mar 10], at [ Mar 10] 8:28 , Troy III Ajnej wrote:

> ECMAScript is not a brower Script.

There's certainly a difference between spec and implementation, but
you seem to be wrong in both contexts, so I don't see how that's
relevant.  Can you point to a single browser that treats catch like
other functions?  For example, do any browsers return "function" for
typeof catch?  Or allow you to assign catch to a variable?  Or really
do anything resembling a function beyond taking parameters?  Do you
also contend if, while, and for are functions?

> In addition:The try\catch()\finally algo is still, not a part of ECMA.

It's in the ECMAScript spec, right where Benjamin pointed to it.

>> All "functions" in ECMAScript are objects. "catch" is not an object.
>
> False...

If you read the ECMAScript spec, you'll find this:

> 10.1.1 Function Objects
> There are two types of Function objects:
> . Program functions are defined in source text by a
> FunctionDeclaration or created dynamically either
> by using a FunctionExpression or by using the built-in Function
> object as a constructor.
> . Internal functions are built-in objects of the language, such as
> parseInt and Math.exp. An
> implementation may also provide implementation-dependent internal
> functions that are not described
> in this specification. These functions do not contain executable
> code defined by the ECMAScript
> grammar, so they are excluded from this discussion of execution
> contexts.

That covers all of the different functions you mentioned, and they're
all objects.

> Every object is not a function

No one said they were.

> and not all (buillt in) functions may be
>
> objects.

  Can you point to anything beyond your own words supporting your
arguments?

Peace,
Scott