[Javascript] problem to print embdad pdf which is in object tag in Fire fox

Mike Dougherty mdougherty at pbp.com
Wed Jul 14 10:42:14 CDT 2010

On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 9:01 AM, Terry Riegel
<riegel at clearimageonline.com>wrote:

> I hope you find this list helpful and a great resource as I have. I know it
> is frustrating when you have a particular problem that you just want a
> solution for and the only responses you get seem to be vague and unhelpful.
> As someone that has been there done that I can tell you that the responses
> you have received will help you get to the solution you are after but it
> will require some googling and reading on your part to get there.

I agree with Terry.  I would take it a step farther and recommend that it
should not be your concern how user agents treat non-HTML content.

Consider the mythological "fold" - as in put your important content 'above
the fold.'   That concept applied to newspaper headlines/articles appearing
where they could be read while a fresh paper was unopened on a stack.  I
think it is fundamentally wrong to discuss the fold on a webpage (even the
terminology is silly).  We can't assume 800x600 resolution (or
1024x768/etc.)  We can't assume windowed/maximized browser.  We can't assume
toolbar heights.  We can't assume font sizes even after specifically setting
them.  Add to these permutations of browser configuration a number of smart
phone browsers, game consoles w/ web access, and media provider embedded
systems.  It becomes intractable to expect a page to look the same for all
audiences.  If we accept that fact, then the experience for non-html content
should be no different.

With that caveat already stated, the inevitable exception is the company
intranet.  If you constrain your use-case(s) to only the supported user
agents in the approved configuration then you might have some hope of
providing a consistent user experience (to the extent that you are ever
provided consistent users).  It seems IE always requires an alternate method
for accomplishing a task that you've already implemented and tests well in
otherwise "standard" browsers.  Which version of IE are you going to
support?  Are you expected to provide a consistent experience across every
instance of IE - all the way back to what version?  You can see that it
quickly gets to be too difficult to be all-inclusive.

I think it is more productive to provide some reference on your FAQ/Help
page that describes the configuration of browser+plugin that has been tested
and is supported.  A disclaimer that variation from that expectation may
lead to suboptimal user experience absolves you of the need to support every
permutation found in the wild.  Power users accept the risks implied by
their own modifications.  Non-power users generally are happy to click a
button to become compliant and get to the content they want.

btw, I use Foxit Reader instead of Acrobat Reader. How could you attempt to
predict my user experience if you didn't know about Foxit and assumed only
Acrobat Reader?