[Sysadmin] Re: [Content] garrett, fyi

Seb Potter seb at poked.org
Sun Aug 17 09:50:49 CDT 2003

On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 21:16:04 -0400, rudy <rudy937 at rogers.com> wrote:

> garret, fyi, all your posts show up with no body and an attachment
>
> when i get a post from you, i have to double click it to open it in its
> own
> message window

<snip />

This isn't actually garrett, it's Mailman.

When Garrett sends mail, he digitally signs it, and the signature appears
as a Mime-multipart message with the message actually wrapped in a mime-
type section. Mailman has previsouly been setup to reject mime emails,
which lead to garrett's loss of list posting ability for a while.

This was recently fix0red after much hackery to allow the mime-type for his
signed mail through.

However, Mailman sux0rz with the mime jiggy, so it treats it as a
text/plain and tries to append the list's .sig (all the sub/unsub gumph) at
the end. This adds text/plain content outside the boundaries that are
listed in the header, causing most mail readers to barf like a drunk
choking on a dodgy kebab.

There are 2 fixes to this:

Either the very unlikely fix:

1. Garrett's signing doohickey that he uses should send mail as text/plain.
That it doesn't isn't wrong, per-se, but it is bad.

Or the realistic workaround to the actual problem:

2. Mailman should be configured to convert whatever mime-type is being sent
by garrett's mail client into plain text, which is what it already is, just
under a different name.

I can't do the first, but I can do the second with appropriate
username/password.

- seb

--
http://poked.org