[Sysadmin] need discussion on leo/beo service

John Handelaar john at videoisland.com
Tue Dec 16 05:56:28 CST 2003

William Anderson wrote:
> Elfur Logadottir wrote:
>
>> howdy guys,
>>
>> I'm looking for discussion on our ongoing lag problem with our mailing
>> lists. A problem that probably reached an all time high midday friday
>> when
>> the server just stopped delivering email for good 36hrs.
>>
>> Is it the server that does the relay?
>> Is it something else?
>>
>> Is there a solution in separating beo from leo or what can be done about
>> this?
>

> beo ain't the problem - last I looked, qmail was bapping out css-d mails
> against evolt mails on something like a 5:1 ratio.  I noticed some
> gabbing about qmail and concurrency as i skimmed le irc histoire earlier
> today, so this may have all been solved already.

Indeed you did. I've moved the entire queue tree to a partition on the
server which was *not* 97% full, sorted the Rackshack-shutting-down-its-
nameservers problem (thanks, Dean, for the stopgap, assuming it was you)
and increased the output concurrency of the mail server from 20 to 100
simultaneous connections.

Last I checked, thelist was roundtripping in < 2 mins again, and CSS-d
was chugging its way through a backlog plus its very own special "lots
of duff subscriber addresses" issues.

CCing this to Elfur and Eric Meyer for background.

jh