[Sysadmin] (Fwd) Undeliverable Mail

Dean Mah dmah at members.evolt.org
Wed Jan 15 09:14:53 CST 2003

On Wed, Jan 15, 2003 at 02:13:35PM -0000, William Anderson wrote:
> Dean Mah wrote:

> > > This is something that has apparently plagued mailman for years.
> > > The only thing I can think of is to add something like an
> > > ~mailman/Mailman/Handlers/CookHeaders.py but I've no idea what
> > > variable (if any) stores the intended final recipient.
> >
> > I think that the intended final recipient is assigned by the MTA so it
> > would have to be added at the MTA level, if possible.
>
> i should have done s/intended final recipient/address subbed to list/

Sorry my mistake.  I should have made the same substitution.  So let
me sum up:

I believe that the 'address subbed to thelist' is passed to the MTA
along with a list of other ones.  The MTA goes through the list and
e-mails the addresses individually.

I believe that the 'final recipient' is handled by the receiver's MTA.
If the receiver's uses aliases, .forward, procmail, etc., their local
MTA will rewrite the header and send it to the final recipient.

So I think that our MTA has to write the 'address subbed to the list'
into the headers.

Of course, I could be wrong, so if you can pursue the other option
(mailman header munging), that would be useful too.

Dean