[Sysadmin] RE: [DesDev] Re: [Finance] RE: [steering] Migration

William Anderson neuro at well.com
Sun Mar 2 21:41:40 CST 2003

.jeff wrote:
> [snip]
>  the cms is written in coldfusion.
> if we don't put weo on a box with coldfusion (and it talks to a database
> i have handy so i can do the port), then it's moot.  it really doesn't
> matter what desdev or sysadmin thinks about that cause i can pretty much
> bet we're not rewriting the cms from scratch in another language in the
> next 4 weeks.  (i don't even wanna think about how long *that*
> discussion will last before a shred of work begins.)
>
> [snip]
>
> so, i'll make the necessary changes to the codebase, port the data, and
> move it to my box in the next 3 weeks.  that'll give us the necessary
> breathing room, both money and time-wise, to do a proper evaluation of
> hosting companies.  anybody object?

As much as I think that moving onto a "goodwill box" for any length of time
right now is somewhat verging on "bad", I think this is the best option - it
gives us a fast migration path and gets us off ron's network.  Then I think
we need to expedite a full rewrite of the cms in php/perl/plone/whatever so
that we are not tied to a platform which is a) not being developed and b)
does not cost the earth.

I personally think that having weo or any other part of eo running on
Windows 2000 (a stale platform only receiving maint updates from the
vendor), MS SQL Server, and ColdFusion (something which I think only a
handful of evoltistas have any experience with) is a Bad Idea (tm), and we
should look to migrating to and building upon a free-as-in-beer platform to
avoid further snafus or issues with licensing.

Once again, I think this conversation should be happening on theforum so
that a) we don't get four copies of everything and b) there's a wider
audience.  This shunt to (any) different network should involve as many
people as possible where practical.  Many hands make light work.

--
_ __/|   ___  ___ __ _________ "When Microsoft Office is your only hammer,
\`O_o'  / _ \/ -_) // / __/ _ \ pretty much everything begins to look like