[Sysadmin] Contingency

Dean Mah dmah at members.evolt.org
Mon Mar 3 09:41:39 CST 2003

On Mon, Mar 03, 2003 at 03:31:07PM -0000, William Anderson wrote:

> TODAY (or as near as possible today) we should lock the door on
> *.evolt.org - that means close it to new members (both eo and meo),
> accept no more article submissions, accept no more article comments,
> put an autoreply bot on stuff like info at evolt.org (saying back soon
> or something), accept no more list subscriptions or membership
> changes (e.g. lock up mailman) - basically let's chuck everything
> that writes to a database somewhere into stasis.

I don't think that it's necessary to suspend new membership to
anything.  m.e.o hasn't accepted new members for about a month now.

> then let's prioritise what moves and what gets dealt with post-move.
> The criticalities as I see it are eo and leo.  Tips, deo, beo, and
> even meo should be depecrated and brought off-line when we move,
> with a view to bring them back once eo and leo are settled in a
> temporary home.  I think the consensus is to shunt deo to the eouk
> raq, and that's cool, but let's do it when our heads are clear of
> the issue of what to do with eo and leo, imho.

I had assumed that l.e.o would go to e.o.uk.  I just need someone to
talk to me about moving everything.  Or if someone has access to both
boxes, they can jump in and start moving themselves.  There will be a
period of time where we will have to synchronize manually but it
shouldn't be a big deal.

Dean