Seb seb at poked.org
Thu Sep 4 04:28:07 CDT 2003

> On Sep 3, Dean Mah had something to say about [Sysadmin]
> [lists at pinetree.n...
>
>> OK,
>> This is now the 3rd month since I have tried to turn off the monthly
>> password reminder that it has been sent...
>>
>> How can I turn it off and have it really stay off?
>
> Filter it? It's 12 emails per year?
>
> That said, maybe we just want to turn the mailing off altogether? Does it
> really serve a useful purpose?
>
> Just a thought. I don't have access to mailman so I can't confirm, but I
> assume there is a site-wide setting to turn off password reminders (or
> maybe list-wide).

Yeah, it's a per-list setting.

Turning it off is a *very* bad idea as then users who forget their list
passwords (i.e. most of them) will not be able to change their settings,
etc, generating many more "unsubscribe me please" emails on-list

If a single user is complaining, then they need to learn how to use
filters. Inconveniencing thousands of people for the sake of a single
person isn't my idea of running a community.

- seb

--
http://poked.org