[Sysadmin] [ronr at linuxdude.com: bounces]

David Kaufman david at gigawatt.com
Sun Dec 5 16:43:40 CST 2004

William Anderson <neuro at well.com> wrote:

> David A. Ulevitch wrote:
>> Just do this:
>>
>> 1) ns1.evolt.org is master DNS server but not listed as a delegated
>> nameserver for evolt.org
>> 2) ns{1-4}.everydns.net are listed as the delegated nameservers for
>> evolt.org but they are configured as slaves of ns1.evolt.org
>>
>> That way you completely make changes on ns1.evolt.org and have a full
>> copy of your bind zone or djbdns zone but you also get the full
>> power of everydns.net's global network.
>
> wasn't that what I was saying?  If i wasn't clear, you've massively
> clarified it - I think what you and I are saying is the best way
> forward.

Yup.  Good, so that's decided.  Now, does anyone else know how to
administer bind?  Cause if I ever have to, I'll be reading the docs and
likely making some mistakes.  I understand DNS service, but have only
ever administered djbdns...

That was my main reason for suggesting we leave EveryDNS as primary and
just use the web interface: it's able to be administered easily by any
of us who might need to, as well as future evolt sysadmins.

Is anyone (everyone?) else around here comfortable administering bind,
editing zone files and such?  Am I the only web-weenie? :-)

-dave