[Sysadmin] thelist gone wild

Dean Mah dmah at shaw.ca
Fri Jan 9 15:40:42 CST 2004

Everyone is likely aware that we were hit with, for lack of a better
term, a mail bomb around 1900GMT, at least that's when I became aware
of it.  So I did:

1) /etc/rc.d/init.d/qmail pause

- stop e-mail from going out but not from coming in.

2) mailmanctl stop

- stop mailman from receiving/sending/archiving.

3) ~dmah/qmHandle -l > output

- check the files in the qmail queue.

4) grep +2 "Register your" output > killfiles

5) emacs files

- perform emacs-fu on the files to get the queue directory and the
  queue file and create lines of the form:

     find ./ -name queue_dir/queue_file -exec rm \{} \;

6) cd /var/qmail/queue and run the killfiles script.

7) Clear out the qfiles in mailman that contain the crap mail.

8) Rebuild the archives.

9) mailmanctl start; /etc/rc.d/init.d/qmail cont

Dean