[Sysadmin] Come on then... decision time

William Anderson neuro at well.com
Sat Jul 3 11:44:17 CDT 2004

David Kaufman wrote:
> [snip]
> i'd avoid Exim because, although it's the debian default MTA and i've used
> it and found it completely suitable for routine system mail, i have read
> that in several places that, being a monolithic process (it doesn't spawn
> children to handle the incoming connections), exim has lower performance and
> more problems when it encounters high loads, large numbers of concurrent
> connections, and "plugin-style" virus and spam filters, all of which we'd
> expect to have with l.e.o.

exim doesn't use a "monolithic" process style if you don't want it to - just
have it called by xinetd and it will happily spawn extra processes to handle
load.

Can you prove this "lower performance" claim?

What problems does it have with high load, large numbers of connections?

What do you see as a problem with "plugin-style" filtering?  Spamassassin
and clamav play very nicely with exim, probably more so due to the transport
mechanism it uses.

--
_ __/|  William Anderson      | Brodie: The Force is strong with this one
\`O_o'  neuro at well dot com |    Jay: Dude, don't encourage him