[Sysadmin] Spec'ing Server

Dean Mah dmah at shaw.ca
Thu Jun 3 22:20:04 CDT 2004

On Wed, Jun 02, 2004 at 10:06:53PM -0700, Judah McAuley wrote:
> Dean Mah wrote:
>
> >Hi all,
> >
> >I think that we should spec out a couple of servers.
> >
> >1) In case that we just move l.e.o, d.e.o, and b.e.o to ServerMatrix.
> >
> >2) In case that we integrate w.e.o on l.e.o.
>
> I'll take a look and put in my 2 cents, however, I think it would
> behoove us to ask ServerMatrix how easy it is to upgrade from one plan
> to another. Given that prices keep dropping and hardware speed
> increases, if there is a quick easy upgrade path to switch plans, it
> might make sense to start small and then migrate as necessary. The
> salient point would be to include that in our planning, so we do a roll
> out with an eye towards easy migration.

Sorry about short-circuiting the discussion on this one especially
since I brought it up....  theforum is voting on whether to move l.e.o
to ServerMatrix immediately and whether to go with a maxed out
$49/month box or a maxed out $100/month box.  It seems that Finance is
willing to approve either of those two and I guess that it makes sense
to get the highest spec box possible for the money available.

Of course, there is the possibility of getting another box or
upgrading later after the w.e.o discussion.  I don't know if a box
just for a dual-hosting l.e.o is possible but it is something that we
can put forth.

Dean