[Sysadmin] there can be only one...or possibly two...

Judah McAuley judah at wiredotter.com
Wed Jun 9 18:07:26 CDT 2004

Looks to me like theforum has kicked it back into sysadmin court. I
don't even know who all is on sysadmin, but anyway, it looks like we
have 3 options to me right now:

1) buy a beefy $100 a month server

2) buy two smaller $49/$59 a month servers

3) buy one smaller server, pay jeff a monthly weo hosting fee, and buy
another server when we move weo

I'd personally vote for 2 meself. I'll take redundency over big iron,
all in all. Especially since a 1.7 or 2.4 GHz celeron with 512 or 1 Gb
of RAM is not exactly a tiny machine. It means a bit more overhead for
admin stuff and a bit more engineering of lists and w.e.o., but I think
it will end up being a more stable system as well as giving us full
control over primary and secondary dns.

Two 2.4 GHz boxen with 1 GB of ram would be my prefered choice and
should hold us for quite awhile.

Judah