[Sysadmin] Migrating to ServerMatrix

Dean Mah dmah at shaw.ca
Wed Jun 16 09:12:25 CDT 2004

With the decision of what to get settled, I think that we should get
ready for how to get it there.  Let's start with a list of software
that we need to install and any lessons learned from the previous
migration.  I think sysadmin feels most comfortable with supporting
Debian so we can skip the O/S consideration.

Needed:

1) Apache 1.3.31 w/ at least mod_php, mod_perl, mod_so
2) Perl/PHP/Python
3) Mailman
4) qmail/postfix/sendmail
5) ssh
6) SpamAssassin
7) MySQL
8) sudo
9) proftpd

Lessons/Considerations:

- I wrote some shell scripts to load configuration options and member
  options into the new mailman version since the old version wasn't
  compatible.

- I grabbed a shell script from the Web to help create all of the
  stinkin' alias files that qmail requires to work with mailman.

- I patched mailman (password mailing, suspicious header tracking) in
  a few places but hopefully that won't be required with the new
  version.

Anything else....

Dean