[Sysadmin] evolters.org (Fw: Automated Reminder: Your Domain is Expiring 2004-06-16)

David Kaufman david at gigawatt.com
Thu Jun 17 12:46:14 CDT 2004

Just received this domain expiration notice:

From: "goinhome.com" <hblair at hotfootmail.com>
To: <treasurer at evolt.org>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 22:58:39 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Automated Reminder:  Your Domain is Expiring 2004-06-16

The following domain name(s) will expire in 5 DAYS:

Domain Name, Expiry Date
evolters.org, 2004-06-21

********IMPORTANT*******
If the domain name(s) are not renewed during the next 5 days, they
will stop working!  This WILL affect all email and websites that use
the domain.  PLEASE RENEW AS SOON AS POSSIBLE to avoid disruption to
your service.***

Thank you

i'm not sure how to go about renewing this domain name which is due to
expire in a few days, though.  i register all my domains (about 60 of
them currently) through an OpenSRS reseller also, but this one may be
defunct.

the message is "from" goinhome.com, which just means that this is the
"from name" used by the OpenSRS reseller.  OpenSRS sends these renewal
notices on behalf of their resellers (they forge the From: address).

i assumed goinhome.com (Linda Goin, according to the contact page on the
site) was probably a helpful evolt member through whom we registered the
domain, right?  but the "web hosting" link on her site points to
http://hotfootmail.com/ which is also in the from *address* on the
expiration message above <hblair at hotfootmail.com> which, now i do seem
to remember as being an evolter, and sure enough:

whois hblair at hotfootmail.com?
http://gigawatt.com/whois.cgi?domain=hotfootmail.com

J B Consulting Group, Schaumburg, Illinois
Admin Contact: Blair, Hugh <hblair at hotfootmail.com>

so Hugh is the evolt member that registered it... but, following the
"Domains" link on HotFootMail.com led me to the fact that
"HotFootMail.com registers domains through http://wholesalenics.net/" so
*finally* HERE is the reseller to whom we must make payment immediately
to keep the domain from expiring, right?

however, the "Renew" link on the http://wholesalenics.net/ website is a
broken link to the fourth breadcrumb in the (now cold) trail to our
OpenSRS reseller, apparently domainwizardry.com:
https://www.domainwizardry.com/cgi-bin/wholerenew.cgi?affiliate_id=wholesalenics

while that link is broken from Hugh's site to DomainWizardry's SSL
server, following the chain of command from www.domainwizardry.com, i
can find a different renew domains link, but it wants evolt's credit
card number and isn't even on domainwizardry.com's server, but rather
a domainwizardry subdomain on myhostpanel.net:
https://domainwizardry.myhostpanel.net/renewal.html {sigh}

so now i'm not sure if the reseller is domainwizardry.com or
Hugh's wholesalenics.net. and if i renew the domain on the wrong
reseller's site, if it will even work ?!

without a definitive reply from here regarding what/who/where to renew
this domain (assuming we *do* want to renew it) my preferred plan of
action would be to, in the interests of timeliness, transfer the domain
to a different OpenSRS reseller that i know is "active" and operating,
and will immediately effect the renewal.  the admin email address of
evolters.org points to treasurer at evolt.org so i know i can approve
such a transfer.

any suggestions would be much appreciated...

thanks!

-dave