[Sysadmin] Re: DNS for new server

David A. Ulevitch davidu at everydns.net
Mon Jun 21 04:07:22 CDT 2004

On Jun 21, 2004, at 1:54 AM, Mike King wrote:

> I'm not sure about that.
> This is not an easy way to track who's done something, if you were
> looking for this message in 6 montsh time would you look under the DNS
> thread or a thread about a ticketing system?
>
> I'm not up for people saying they've already done something, what if it
> breaks another app? We need to alert people *before* something is going
> to be done and make sure it's not going to screw the box.

Good point.

For new things:
1) Proposal for change, description of changes.
2) Comment for a couple days (in the ticket thread)
3) Make changes
4) close ticket.

For emergency/security updates:
1) Describe issue/change needed/solution.
2) Make change
3) Allow a couple days for comments
4) Close ticket.

Seems reasonable, no?

There's always the OpenBSD method where even though quite a lot of
people can check in code to CVS, all changes have to be peer-reviewed
by someone else so like in our case, someone else would close the
ticket after a couple days.  That ensures that someone else also is
keeping up with what's going on.

-david