[Sysadmin] Serious, egregious problem with Servermatrix Debian boxes

William Anderson neuro at well.com
Thu Oct 7 11:56:36 CDT 2004

David Kaufman wrote:
> [snip]
>
>>4. DMA on the IDE interface is in fact also disabled at the
>>   BIOS level.

You sure?

> I have to admit I've never run into all these DMA issues myself.  So I'm
> not disputing them, but would like to investigate them to understand the
> issue.
>
> Can you point me to some doco on this?  How does one test if DMA is
> enabled on an IDE interface

hdparm, thusly:

tempest:~# hdparm -d /dev/hda

/dev/hda:
  using_dma    =  1 (on)

>>...Anyone here have some extreme
>>kernel-fu?  Our box needs patching, and so does mine (I've now
>>had two failed attempts to sort it out result in total server
>>non-boot failure).

If we can secure some sort of oob access to the console, then sure, I can
swing a nosey at it.

--
_ __/|  William Anderson      | Brodie: The Force is strong with this one
\`O_o'  neuro at well dot com |    Jay: Dude, don't encourage him