[Sysadmin] John, FYI: (was Re: Registration Request for evolt.org Received)

David Kaufman david at gigawatt.com
Tue Oct 12 14:51:09 CDT 2004

John,

Be advised that you will probably soon receive an email from Network
Solutions regarding the transfer of the EVOLT.ORG domain to OpenSRS.

Marlene (as the current Admin contact) had to jump through several hoops
in order to just get NetSol to *accept* the transfer *request*, and I
suspect there may be more we have to do before it is actually approved.
Marlene had to log into the their web interface and acknowledge that the
transfer request was valid.  Then she had to supply an auth code that
they emailed not to her, but to me, at the *billing* contact address.  I
had to forward her this code so that she could complete her part.  Then
I got a notice (at the billing address treasurer at evolt.org) full of FUD
warning me that "someone" had requested that my domain be transferred,
advising me that this may be due to my misunderstanding a faux renewal
notice form a competitor, but assuring me that TO DENY the transfer, I
need do *nothing* but ignore the email, and the transfer would be denied
after 96 hours had elapsed.

I managed to confirm the transfer via the web link provided, but I fully
expect that now you as the tech contact may receive a similar
"Default-Deny" confirmation notice, at your <john at gn.apc.org> address,
to which you may *have* to respond, in order for them to exhaust every
possible excuse to prevent our transfer away from their corporate
clutches :-)

So please keep an eye out for it, and jump through your approval hoop
too, if necessary!

Thanks,

-dave