[Sysadmin] Heeeeelp - think i broke qmail-smtpd on tempest

David Kaufman david at gigawatt.com
Tue Nov 8 14:45:13 CST 2005

Hi Dean,

Dean Mah <dmah at shaw.ca> wrote:
>> David Kaufman wrote:
>>> SpamAssassin Mail Filter Daemon: disabled, see
>>> /etc/default/spamassassin HELP!
>>
> John Handelaar wrote:
>> So I looked in /etc/default/spamassassin and it did indeed contain a
>> line marked 'ENABLE=0' [...] Have changed it to 1, [...] Error gone.
>
> I believe that the qmailrocks installation pipes messages through
> sa+clamav without using the spamd daemon, i.e., it uses
> qmail-scanner-queue.pl as the qmail queuing method.  That would
> explain why spamd was disabled at startup.  I'm not sure why it was
> suddenly required.

Actually, after my initial panic period, I reviewed the mail.log more
completely and those spamd "connection refused" errors had been being
logged for every message for many hours (probly days) before my mishap
so they were apparently harmless and John's fixing it, while
appreciated... :-) didn't fix my problem.

What seeed to have worked was, although I'd "politely" restarted various
/service/'s a few times with no luck using qmailctl and svc directly, it
appeared that qmail-send was badly wedged and had to be kill -9'ed and
restarted and *then* qmailctl restart && /etc/init.d/mailaman restart
and so on, before all the list mail that had been piling up started
being delivered again.

If, as they say, we (only) learn by making mistakes, then I had a very
educational evening :-)

-dave