[Sysadmin] 33 gig log file :-)

Dean Mah dmah at shaw.ca
Tue Nov 8 15:18:03 CST 2005

David Kaufman wrote:
> Here's another interesting housekeeping item:
>
> MySQL has been keeping a detailed query log, started on July 25th at
> 7:30am that has been running ever since:
>
> $ ls -lh /var/log/mysql.log
>
>     -rw-r-----  1 mysql adm 33G Nov  8 14:48 /var/log/mysql.log
>
> heheh.  good thing we gots lots-o-disk space!
>
> $ df -h
>
>     Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
>     /dev/hda3              72G   54G   15G  79% /
>     /dev/hda1              92M  6.3M   81M   8% /boot
>
> of the 54 gigs in use, most is in this one file!  I'm so happy that we
> won't need a storage upgrade as soon as I'd thought, that I'll go ahead
> fix it :-)
>
> ...commented out the line with log directive
>
> --- in /etc/my.cnf ----
> # log = /var/log/mysql.log
>
> and restarted mysql.
> $ /etc/init.d/mysql restart
>
> and removed the log
> $ rm /var/log/mysql.log  # wait several minutes
>
> and breathed a sigh of relief:
>
> $ df -h
>
>   Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
>   /dev/hda3              72G   21G   47G  31% /
>   /dev/hda1              92M  6.3M   81M   8% /boot
>
> shaweeet.
>
> -dave, still getting getting two-oo of every message message he sendsdz
> to the sysadmin sysadmin list list and wondering-undering if he's seeing
> double-uble, or is just really-really tired-ired...

We should probably review log rotation for all logs.  I was skimming the
qmailrocks documentation and it mentioned that the log files get pretty
large as well.

As for the double e-mails, it's probably just you.  :)  You are
subscribed to the sysadmin list as dkaufman at tempest.e.o and david at
GW.com.

Dean