[Sysadmin] EV1 and The Planet (ServerMatrix) Announce Merger

David Kaufman david at gigawatt.com
Tue May 23 15:14:08 CDT 2006

Dunno if this is a good thing for our hosting situation or not, but...

Anyone particularly dislike EV1?  I've had mixed experiences with them
myself, but I suppose it remains to be seen whether ServerMatrix as we
know it will disappear and we'll wake up EV1 customers one day, or if
the two will continue to operate separately...  or what.

I'm very curious to hear what the Sysadmin collective thinks,
collectively:

  Bad News?
  Good News?
  No Biggie?
  Don't Know?
  Don't Care?

Thanks,

-dave

EV1 and The Planet Announce Merger
http://www.theplanet.com/newsroom/pr/20060508.html

Combination Creates Industry-leading Dedicated Hosting Company; Combined
Company Will Continue to Deliver Industry-leading Client Experience

DALLAS, TX - Everyones Internet (EV1) and The Planet, two leading
providers of dedicated hosting, announced today that they have merged.

Clients of both EV1 and The Planet will continue to enjoy the same
industry-leading products and services they have come to expect. The
combined entity will further develop both the EV1 and The Planet brands,
supporting over 20,000 clients and 50,000 dedicated servers. This
combination creates the largest dedicated hosting provider in the
market, which has the scope, scale and financial strength to deliver
superior service levels and innovative product offerings to existing and
new clients.

The merger between EV1 and The Planet follows controlling investments
recently made in each by GI Partners, a leading private equity firm with
deep experience in technology infrastructure.

"The merger is exciting news for all stakeholders," said Robert Marsh,
Headsurfer and founder of EV1. "It will be seamless from a client
perspective and will result in a host of benefits for our clients."

"The opportunities created by this merger are extremely exciting, and we
look forward to combining our resources for the benefit of our clients,"
commented Peter Pathos, founder of The Planet.

"We are very pleased to have this opportunity to invest in further
building upon the strong foundations at EV1 and The Planet," said Howard
Park, Managing Director of GI Partners. "Our aim is to provide the
additional access to financial and other resources that will enable the
combined company to continue growing profitably while further improving
service levels, expanding product offerings, and enhancing the total
client experience."

About EV1
EV1, based in Houston, Texas, provides dedicated internet technology
services to small and mid-sized companies, including sole proprietors
and technically sophisticated individuals. For more information, please
visit www.ev1servers.net.

About GI Partners
With offices in Menlo Park and London, GI Partners is a leading private
equity firm with $2 billion of capital under management. The firm
invests in companies with recurring revenue and asset-intensive business
models in North America and Western Europe. For more information, please
visit http://www.gipartners.com.

About The Planet
With over 10 years experience, The Planet delivers enterprise level
hosting solutions that are readily available, affordable, and scalable.
The Planet offers dedicated servers, co-location, Internet access, email
and business continuance. Customers receive extreme value through
offerings such as advanced security, proactive monitoring, database
administration, data storage, load balancing, and virtual private
networks, all managed through OrbitSM, The Planet's customer portal. For
additional information, visit www.theplanet.com.

Media Contacts
The Planet
Kristin Herring