[Sysadmin] Server upgrade

William Anderson neuro at well.com
Tue Oct 14 14:02:28 CDT 2008

David Kaufman wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've just ordered a new server from theplanet.com (evolt's hosting
> provider) because:
>
> 1. it was a "limited time" offer

cool

> 2. I saw a chance to upgrade our operating system from Debian 3 to 4
>    (sarge to etch), putting us within reach of the MySQL 5 and PHP5
>    upgrades people have been hoping for recently (required by the latest
>    and greatest Drupal and MediaWiki versions), and

ugh

> 3. it's cheaper!  $44/month instead of $69/month

cool

> I acted fast because there were only two of them available at that price
> (they're both gone now  http://www.theplanet.com/servers/outlet.aspx )
> and I didn't want to miss out on the deal!

Hmm, but there was no immediate rush, and I'd have loved to talk a bit
about requirements and long term viability before we splurged.  I'm not
trying to knock a welcome push towards fast action over bureaucracy, but
there's fast and then there's hasty :)

To me, ubuntu hardy made a lot more sense (LTS release, 7 years of
updates guaranteed) than etch did (lenny will be out in a month or two,
we'll be stuck back to running oldstable, and our updates will stop
again in a year or two).

I mean, thanks David, thanks for actually doing something, which is
awesome and should be commended, I guess I'm just being a bit grumpy today.

-n