[Sysadmin] Server upgrade

William Anderson neuro at well.com
Tue Oct 14 17:37:06 CDT 2008

John Handelaar wrote:
> 2008/10/14 William Anderson <neuro at well.com>:
>> To me, ubuntu hardy made a lot more sense (LTS release, 7 years of
>> updates guaranteed) than etch did (lenny will be out in a month or two,
>> we'll be stuck back to running oldstable, and our updates will stop
>> again in a year or two).
>
> Actually, no: etch supports kernel upgrades through apt.  We could, if
> we wanted, shift it to lenny (or hardy) whenever we like through
> `apt-get dist-upgrade`.

That's utterly not my concern.  No security updates (not just the
kernel, but for *any* package) are now being released for sarge.  If
we're running etch, all it will take is for lenny to be stable for some
time, and it's successor in testing to take hold, and etch updates will
be retired, leaving us in this same situation again.

Also, debian->ubuntu upgrades aren't really recommended under any
circumstances.

-n