[Sysadmin] Debian "unsupported by The Planet"

William Anderson neuro at well.com
Wed Oct 15 05:26:11 CDT 2008

Mike King wrote:
> Theory says that you can bootstrap debian or ububtu remotely. Not that
> I've managed it :)

This sounds like way too much hassle.  David, I suggest that if you can
bail out of this cheapo server deal, do.  We can't get debian at
theplanet, much less ubuntu.

If we're not averse to hosting back in the UK, we can get some
reasonable deals from ubuntu/debian friendly shops for around $80/mo
which i assume is what we're paying now ...

Single core Atom, 200GB RAID 1 disk, 2GB RAM, 2TB/mo transfer, many IPs
- http://www.bytemark.co.uk/page/Live/hosting/dedicated/atom

Dual core Pentium, 2x 160GB SATA, 1GB RAM, 1TB/mo transfer, 2 IPs
- http://www.webtapestry.net/dedicated.html

Dual core Core 2 Duo, 160GB SATA, 5TB/mo transfer, 8 IPs
- http://www.poundhost.com/dedicated-servers/

... or we could get a couple of VMs, one to act as leo, the other to be
the web/db server.

-n