[Sysadmin] Remote O/S installs (was: Re: Debian "unsupported by The Planet")

David Kaufman david at gigawatt.com
Thu Oct 16 22:12:02 CDT 2008

Hi Mike,

"Mike King" <mike.king at redroom.co.uk> wrote:

> Theory says that you can bootstrap debian or ububtu remotely. Not that
> I've managed it :)
>
> Mk

I was sufficiently intrigued by the idea (and am sufficiently cheap enough)
to do some additional research, and found two fairly comprehensive guides
for Debian, and two specifically for Ubuntu:

HOWTO - Install Debian Onto a Remote Linux System:
http://www.underhanded.org/papers/debian-conversion/remotedeb.html

How To Remotely Install Debian Over A RH Based Distro
http://www.howtoforge.com/how-to-remotely-install-debian-over-a-rh-based-distro

Install Ubuntu (hardy) 8.04 Remotely via SSH
http://blog.jeffduckett.com/articles/2008/08/04/install-ubuntu-hardy-8-04-remotely-via-ssh-32-or-64-bit/

Remote Ubuntu Dapper Drake Install
http://blog.nanorails.com/articles/2006/7/1/remote-ubuntu-dapper-drake-install

I'm reading through these now, and will be attempting a dry run, over the
next few days, using a virtual CentOS 4.7 machine that I just setup locally
on my laptop, to match the new box at ThePlanet.

This is entirely too fun!

-dave