[Sysadmin] Debian "unsupported by The Planet"

David Kaufman david at gigawatt.com
Thu Oct 16 23:00:39 CDT 2008

Hi William,

"William Anderson" <neuro at well.com> wrote:
> If we're not averse to hosting back in the UK, we can get some
> reasonable deals from ubuntu/debian friendly shops for around $80/mo
> which i assume is what we're paying now ...

We're paying just $69 now, and my hope was to try and get that down to $44.

> ... or we could get a couple of VMs, one to act as leo, the other to be
> the web/db server.

I don't know if (even two) VM's could handle our traffic and CPU load.  The
dedicated hardware we have is already pretty heavily loaded.

When the lists and site kept slowing to a crawl (was it last year?) as we
suffered massive spam attacks, I was glad that, at least we weren't sharing
a physical network interface, disk or CPU with others.

-dave