[Sysadmin] Remote O/S installs

David Kaufman david at gigawatt.com
Tue Oct 28 10:14:23 CDT 2008

Hi Adrian,

"Adrian Simmons" <adrinux at perlucida.com> wrote:

> David Kaufman wrote:
>> I'm reading through these now, and will be attempting a dry run, over
>> the
>> next few days, using a virtual CentOS 4.7 machine that I just setup
>> locally
>> on my laptop, to match the new box at ThePlanet.
>
> So how's it going? :)

Good!  I just last night managed to bootstrap a debian etch installation in
my virtual CentOS 4.7 machine's swap partition and boot it successfully,
which was awesome.

I'm now struggling with making sure that grub on CentOS automatically falls
back and reboots using the CentOS partition, if the Debian boot fails for
any reason.  It's easy enough to setup with etch's grub 0.97 but it seems
like grub 0.95 on CentOS is missing this might handy option -- the relevant
section is missing from the CentOS grub docs, and there seems to be no
grub-set-default script, like the one that ships with grub on debian.

So I'm gonna have to either upgrade grub on the victim, or roll my own
script...  It is taking longer than I'd hoped, but being paranoid and
careful with something like this is, methinks , a Good Thing :-)

-dave