[Sysadmin] tempest dead?

David Kaufman david at gigawatt.com
Fri Jan 23 14:28:28 CST 2009

Hi John,

"John Handelaar" <john at userfrenzy.com> wrote:
> Hm.  For future reference, I'm don't think that a reboot is ever the
> first resort.  And certainly not when >1 people from sysadmin can
> usually be found on IRC.
>
> jh

The number of people on irc notwithstanding, I took Dean's "Might need to
request a reboot" to mean that, with the web site down, the server
unreachable via ssh and not responding to pings, that a reboot was in
order.  And I agreed.  Not being on irc that appeared to me to be enough
consensus.

Since none of us have physical access the only other option is to report a
server outage to the techs at The Planet and have them go plug in a monitor
and take a look-see at the console.  In hindsight, I suppose I should have
done that, except:

1. I'm never sure if they're going to charge us dozens of dollars an hour
for tech time, or how long they will take to respond

2. It seems that I'm the only one who's able (or perhaps no one else is
willing) to login to the account to request reboots open tickets.

3. it seemed likely that a reboot would get us back up and running with a
minimum of downtime.

Turned out it did not, and a tech is now investigating anyway.

I hope he is prompt.

And free.

-dave