[Sysadmin] tron

Dean Mah dean.mah at gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 15:00:24 CST 2009

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 1:27 PM, John Handelaar <john at userfrenzy.com> wrote:
> 2009/1/27 Dean Mah <dean.mah at gmail.com>:
>> Not sure what happened with tron.  I had the server rebooted and
>> checked the logs.  I didn't see anything that really jumped out at me.
>>
>> In David's ticket, it mentioned that our servers are not set up for
>> remote rebooting or remote console access.  They've linked to a forum
>> post.
>
> ...for essentially a different operating system.  Danger, Will Robinson!
>
> [And let's be clear that remote-reboot and remote console access are
> two entirely different things; the forum link you posted earlier seems
> to relate solely to the latter.]
>
> jh

I thought that it was both.  The grub changes seem to be for the
remote reboot.  While setting up a tty on the serial port is addressed
later in the thread.  I'll take a closer look at it when I get a
chance.  Even if we can get a serial connection to the server, that
would be nice.

As long as we're not being charged to have support manually reboot the
server, I'm fine with leaving it as-is.

Dean