[Sysadmin] tron

David Kaufman david at gigawatt.com
Thu Jan 29 13:22:00 CST 2009

Hi Dean,

Dean Mah wrote:
> So tron is back up with 2 disks in it now.  The OS is CentOS.
>
> What do you guys want to do going forward?  Should we try the Debian
> install again?  Should we look for alternative hosting?  Should we
> stick with CentOS?

I use, develop for, administer and maintain Red Hat Enterprise servers
(against my better judgment) at work, and although they are certainly
reliable enough, I don't enjoy working with the distro.  And as I'm sure
you know CentOS aims to be a binary-compatible clone of Red Hat, without
the licensing fees.

So I'd prefer to stick with Debian, and just do the O/S switcheroo again
on the new box.

But if it comes down to it, I'd rather live with CentOS at ThePlanet,
than move to a new host!  The new free drive upgrade notwithstanding, I
think we'd have a hard time finding another host as well-connected and
inexpensive as the one we're on now...

Pain in the ass though they can be, their reliability (prior to this
latest incident) and network performance have been admirable these last
four-ish years.

-dave