[Sysadmin] Fwd: qmail changes (was: css-discuss down?)

Dean Mah dean.mah at gmail.com
Fri Nov 20 15:08:48 CST 2009

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Dean Mah <dean.mah at gmail.com>
Date: Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 1:55 PM
Subject: Re: [Sysadmin] qmail changes (was: css-discuss down?)
To: sysadmin at lists.evolt.org, eric at meyerweb.com, content at lists.evolt.org

After watching the qmail on the server for the last few weeks and
restarting qmail repeatedly, it looks like some mail clients are
connecting to the server and then hanging.  They either send an
extremely large file or simply do not complete the SMTP session which
makes the qmail-smtpd process sit and spin.  This makes me grumpy.

I've changed the qmail-scanner-queue.pl process to check the headers
as soon as they are available rather than waiting for the entire
message to be received.  This will cause a clear spam message to be
discarded as soon as possible, at least within the Perl script, it
could be handled quicker in qmail-smtpd.

Of course, any changes to the qmail pipeline may cause mail problems.
If you see anything odd, let me know.

Dean