[Sysadmin] crashplan

David Kaufman david at gigawatt.com
Sat Apr 21 21:16:49 CDT 2012

Hi neuro,

Sorry for the late replies -- I setup crashplan last year.

Here was the only memo:

   http://lists.evolt.org/mailman/private/content/2011-August/023252.html

I had recently begun using crashplan to backup my work and home
machines, and was (and still am) very happy with it, when evolt's disk
crashed and we had no db backup.  We lost several months of db changes.
  Fortunately that only meant we lost one (of aardvark's) articles

It is free when using it in "backup to a friend" mode, when I found they
had a linux version I decided it would be good to have offsite backups,
so I set it up to backup daily to a machine I have at home that is
always on, has a big drive, and that I use for my home backups and as a
secondary for my work backups.

But if it is using too many resources or causing any other problems, I'd
be happy to hear suggestions about what to replace it with... i was
thinking dirvish, but this was just so quick and easy i decided anything
now was better than something really clever much later or -- the way i
tend to procrastinate -- maybe never.

would you suggest another backup system?

-dave