[Sysadmin] [theforum] evolt dns: bad mx

Dean Mah dean.mah at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 20:50:17 CDT 2016

On Mon, Sep 12, 2016 at 8:26 AM, Dean Mah <dean.mah at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 11, 2016 at 9:12 PM, William Anderson <neuro at well.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Sep 11, 2016 at 10:53 PM, William Anderson <neuro at well.com>
>> wrote:
>> > [snip]
>> >
>> > I'm going to set up Apache/PHP on cerf to migrate some static stuff
>> > from tron; if it's OK with everyone, I'll probably migrate beo
>> > elsewhere, since there isn't room for the 12GiB of archive data.
>>
>> OK, dir.evolt.org (which is really just a holding page) has been
>> migrated from tron to cerf, and switched to the new style template (I
>> even drilled into the wayback machine to get the right background
>> colour!).
>>
>> browsers.evolt.org has just been migrated from tron to taylor (a new
>> machine I've set up in my own DO account in NYC1).  If you visit it
>> right now, you may hit tron, since the DNS will still be refreshing.
>> You can tell if you're hitting taylor, as I've put a full stop/period
>> at the very bottom of the browser list on the front page on taylor's
>> copy of the homepage.  There's a 1 hour TTL, so try again in an hour.
>>
>> If you look at the list of active vhosts on tron:
>>
>> beo, deo, leo, noc.evolt (defunct), planet.evolt (defunct), svn.evolt
>> (defunct), teo, wiki.evolt (defunct), www.evolt (migrated),
>> css-discuss
>>
>> ... then the only things we have left to do are lists and css-discuss,
>> then set up a backup strategy.  Maybe a cheap VM from a random East
>> Coast VM provider to rsync/rsnapshot to?
>>
>> I've copied /local/apps/mailman from tron to /root/local-apps-mailman
>> on cerf so that there's a base to start building on (note that I've
>> ungzipped and bzip2'd the pre-adsense archives under archives/private
>> to save some space)
>>
>> Everyone has accounts on postel, cerf and now taylor, but
>> realistically cerf is where the work needs to get done.  If anyone
>> logs in to do stuff, could you a) try to stick to installing kosher
>> ubuntu packages with apt-get rather than random tarballs if at all
>> possible, and b) log here what you've done.  Cheeeeeeers ;)
>>
>> *bounce*
>>
>> -n
>>

> Good stuff. I'll try to get on tonight and get the rest of mailman sorted.
>
> Thanks for all your work.

Alright, I facked up all your good work. I started installing and
configuring
stuff on postel after mis-reading your message. I'll try to reverse the
changes that I made but you might need to take a look at it.

On cerf, did you say that you installed mailman? Did you install the
ubuntu package or use a source package? What version did you
install?

Thanks,
Dean