[Sysadmin] wiki

William Anderson neuro at well.com
Sun Jan 1 21:14:42 UTC 2017

Ooh, happy new year, troops ;)

On Fri, Dec 30, 2016 at 10:44 PM, David Kaufman <david at gigawatt.com> wrote:
> Me me me too!
>
> https://github.com/davidkaufman

Invited ;)

> Weo, Beo, Leo... So what's left on Tron, just DNS??
>
> GoDaddy gives us DNS with out evolt.org domain registration with a
> nice web-based DNS editor -- I use GoDaddy DNS for a couple of clients
> who want to do some of their own tinkering and it does everything.
>
> I know you guys are bind junkies -- me, too *well, tinydns/djbdns
> preerably -- but, just saying.  Seems overkill to run extra machines
> (even cheap virtual ones) just to host out own dns.

But it does give us complete authority over the domain name and some
measure of redundancy for just an extra five bucks a month.  Updating
the DNS will just be a matter of updating a text file on postel, and
reloading bind. cerf will automatically pick up changes. Boom.

In my experience, web interfaces to registrar nameservers aren't
always feature complete and/or pleasant to use.  Additionally, I have
several, deep-seated issues with both GoDaddy and djb ;)

As a completely alternate suggestion, I have a reseller account with
OpenSRS and a 'storefront' interface where you can buy or transfer in
a domain name with a credit card, and can select your own nameservers
or OpenSRS's own shopco nameservers for pri/sec/whatever NS.

But in saying that, I'm absolutely agnostic about where the domain is
registered.  Except for GoDaddy, unfortunately :(

> If thats all thats left on tron, I say we switch dns to godaddy and
> "Terminate Tron with Extreme Prejudice" (see what i did there? managed
> to squeeze three 80's  film references in 5 words!).
>
> whaddayathink?

If everyone else agrees, then fair enough, but it's certainly not what
I would do ;)

At the very least, can we get the glue records for the domain at Gandi
switched to the following:

ns0.evolt.org 188.166.199.35
ns1.evolt.org 159.203.156.51

(they're the floating IPs for each DO instance)

Then I can change the DNS for ns1 from tron to cerf, and I think then,
if css-discuss.org is sorted, and we have backups/copies of homedirs
and logs and stuff, we can most likely ditch tron.

-n